Why ALL Organic?
Every day we make many decisions, but some may have a greater impact than we initially realize. For instance, when faced with a conventional or organic option, which one do you choose?
While on The Complete Detox Program, it is important to choose organic everything as much as possible!
Remember, you are working on getting rid of those stored toxins. So to adequately do that, you must start working towards also decreasing your overall toxic load!
Here are a few simple reasons to choose organic!
- Deal with Dirt, Not Chemicals. Of course, thoroughly washing food can remove traces of dirt. However, washing is not enough to remove some waxy residues and infiltration of pesticides that have leeched into foods from the soil. Conventional farming using synthetic pesticides have been shown in numerous reports, including the US National Library of Medicine, to be linked to many chronic health conditions with long-term exposure. These include but are not limited to ADHD, respiratory problems, certain cancers and immune system damage.
- Say No to GMOs. Genetically modified organisms make up over 90% of the most common crops in the US today, according to the Center for Food Safety. It’s no secret that avoiding GMOs has been a hot topic over the last few years as research points to its potential harmful effects. Buying USDA Organic, and also Non-GMO Project Verified foods and supplements will ensure the avoidance of GMOs.
- Avoid Unnecessary Hormones. Common diet staples like meat, milk and eggs often contain excessive growth hormones. The National Organic Program (NOP) rule prohibits the use of synthetic animal drugs.
- Avoid Endocrine Disruptors. The skin is the body’s biggest organ, so it makes sense to consider organic topical products such as cosmetics and personal care products as well. The FDA does not regulate cosmetics like it does drugs and biologics. As a result, many harmful ingredients known to be endocrine disruptors, such as phthalates, are a part of commonly applied products.
- It’s More Nutritionally Sound. While many may think eating an orange delivers the same amount of nutrients whether organic or conventional, a University of Missouri study found that organic oranges delivered 30% more vitamin C. Other studies found similar results, including one published in the British Journal of Nutrition, which found that organics contain 18 to 69 percent higher concentrations of antioxidants. This may be because insecticides, herbicides and fungicides actually block a plant’s ability to manufacture phytonutrients, such as polyphenols and antioxidants, according to Organic.org.
- Better Taste. As a result of higher antioxidants, organic foods were found to have a more intense flavor, according to the same British Journal of Nutrition study which measured nutritional value. Higher levels of synthetic fertilizers in conventional farming compromise soil quality, stressing the plant and ultimately impacting its taste.
- Promote Humane Treatment of Animals. The majority of conventional livestock lives in inhumane, confined conditions and are pumped with synthetic hormones to increase production. These stressful, unnatural conditions cause a serious decline in the animal’s health and quality of life. By National Organic Program (NOP) standards, organically raised animals must have access to the outdoors as well as have ample space to behave naturally.
- It Helps Preserve Ecosystems. Organic farming helps support eco-sustenance, mainly by preservation of soil and crop rotation. According to research from the New York Academy of Sciences, organic farming seems to also enhance species richness, particularly where the surrounding landscape impacts biodiversity or ecosystem services versus conventional farms.