The Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
Lemon water aids in digestion and detoxification!
Because of lemon juice’s atomic structure is similar to the digestive juices found in the stomach, it tricks the liver into producing bile, which helps keep food moving through your body and gastrointestinal tract smoothly.
Lemon water also helps relieve indigestion or ease an upset stomach.
The acids found in lemon juice also encourage your body to process the good stuff in foods more slowly. This drawn-out absorption means insulin levels remain steady and you get more nutrients out of the foods you consume.
Better nutrient absorption means less bloating.
Lemon water benefits the enzyme functions in your body, stimulating the liver and flushing out toxins.
Because it’s a mild diuretic, you might find yourself using the bathroom more often, helping the urinary tract get rid of any unwanted elements.
All of this helps detox body & skin.
Lemon water can boost energy levels without the caffeine crash. Our bodies get energy from the atoms and molecules in foods. When negative-charged ions, like those found in lemons, enter your digestive tract, the result is an increase in energy levels au naturel.
Additionally, just the scent of a lemon has been found to reduce stress levels and improve moods.
Ready to jump on the lemon water bandwagon?
Here are a few points to remember:
- When buying lemons, opt for ones that are fully yellow and, if possible, organic. If the fruit is still green, it isn’t fully ripe. Thinner-skinned lemons are juicier. Keep away from lemons that look dull, wrinkled or excessively hard.
- Storing lemons in a sealed plastic bag keeps lemons fresh much longer than leaving them at room temperature.
- To make preparing lemon water even easier, juice several lemons into an ice cube tray and freeze. Pop a few cubes in a glass of water to have fresh lemon juice at the ready anytime.
- When preparing lemon water, it’s best to add the lemon juice to room temperature or warm water — start with half a lemon’s worth of juice. Drinking cold lemon water can be a shock to your system.
- You get the benefits of lemon water whenever you drink it, but sipping on it in the morning will kick-start your day.
- Try a glass about a half hour before breakfast; the lemon juice in your belly will help your body absorb your breakfast nutrients better.
- Try using a high quality lemon essential oil– Super potent (you only need 1-2 drops), and without the mess!